Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Chinese Challenge

French, Dutch, Spanish, Italian...

As many of you know, I am a "linguist." I like languages. I like words. I like reading. I like writing. I even like editing!

I was thrilled about this move; it's a wonderful opportunity to learn my first Asian language.
I did not realize that by moving to China, I would actually lose my ability to understand English.

Completely.

From our neighborhood's newsletter

PS:

per·am·bu·la·tor

[per-am-byuh-ley-ter] Show IPA
–noun
2.
an odometer pushed by a person walking.
3.
a person who makes a tour of inspection on foot



My best guess: No parking in front of the handicap ramp.

After all, the perambulators (strollers) and deformity carriages (wheelchairs?) must have clear access.


With love and laughter!

Kimbeijingerly


PS: I love comments!



5 comments:

  1. I could not figure out deformity carriage for the life of me. OMFG, this translation is teh awesome!!!! Keep 'em coming! :-)
    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone is sitting in a little room with an electronic translator and lots of time on their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't a cleft palate also a deformity?

    Good thing you're so talented -- it would take a linguist to figure that one out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I want to know is why they didn't replace "others" with "babies and deformed people". :)

    ReplyDelete